The Red Dot Sight (RDS) Pistol Train-the-Trainer class will be two days of classroom lectures and live fire range time to properly instruct fellow officers and train others in the RDS system on the duty pistol. This course will also assist the trainer in providing in-service instruction. Individual attention will be given to each officer to ensure they comprehend all material presented and can apply their knowledge while instructing others using an RDS-equipped pistol.
Topics of instruction include structure versus strength; less effort makes higher efficiency, and pros and cons plus limitations of optics available in the marketplace. Proper use of RDS in lousy weather, overcoming those conditions, close-quarter environments, and extended distance situations will be covered. Also taught will be the proper use of RDS with damage or glass obstruction. Teach-backs and adult learning theory are applied, ensuring the students can take these lessons back to their departments and fellow officers.
Topics of Instruction Include
- The course covers an individual officer wanting to enhance his ability with the RDS or start gaining knowledge of the RDS.
- The fundamentals redefined: structure vs. strength, less effort = better efficiency.
- Pros, cons, and limitations of optics available in the marketplace will be discussed at length.
- Proper use of RDS in inclement weather and how to overcome those conditions through technique.
- Proper use of RDS in CQB environments and at extended distances.
- Proper use of RDS with damage and or obstruction of the glass.
- It allows an agency or team to acquire more information on the RDS pistol before purchasing it.
- It will allow the officer to provide in-service instruction to officers.
- Each officer will gain the knowledge necessary to not only self-diagnose their performance but, more importantly, their students' performance.
- Individual attention will be given to each officer to ensure they comprehend all material presented and can apply that knowledge while instructing others to use an RDS-equipped pistol.
- Mounted and Dismounted movement, when and why to use these techniques.
- The whys will be explained, discussed, and answered with every course taught within the curriculum.
- Eye/ear protection
- Inclement weather gear (wet/cold)
- 750 rounds of quality/factory ammunition - NO RELOADS (9mm if you are using OTOA-owned loaner Glock pistols)
- Range snacks/water/hydration
No RDS-equipped pistol? No Problem:
The OTOA can provide a loaner Glock RDS pistol with optic and holster for *$100 per student.
Email email@example.com to reserve the following supplies:
- Glock RDS pistol
- Right-handed or left-handed holster
- Preferred or requested red dot optic - Holosun or Trijicon
*$100 will be added to each student registration requesting the Glock RDS loaner pistol.