• Understand current trends in active threat incidents.
• Understand the concept of “active dying” and why Rapid Deployment and Immediate Action are needed to save lives.
• Understand Constitutional Use of Deadly Force requirements and appropriate de-escalation outcomes.
• Understand the contemporary principles when responding to active threats.
• How priority of life during active threat response plays a vital role in the outcomes.
• Understand constitutional use of deadly force requirements and appropriate de-escalation outcomes.
• Understand Linking Up with uniformed, plain-clothes officers to avoid “blue on blue” engagements.
• Understand how to work with uniformed security professionals and civilian CCW/open-carry citizens during active threat incidents.
• Demonstrate safe and efficient dry practice gun handling skills.
• Understand mission-driven tactics for active threat response.
• Demonstrate proficiency in the OTOA mission-driven tactics.
This course is restricted to OPOTC-certified peace officers, and troopers assigned full-time or part-time to a law enforcement tactical team are eligible to participate in CPT-approved School-Response Training for Members of Ohio Law Enforcement Tactical Teams.
This training is approved by the Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy (OPOTA) for 16 credit hours of 2023 Continued Professional Training (CPT)
This Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission-approved training course and curriculum are eligible for 100% tuition reimbursement through the Office of Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost and the Officer School Safety Grants program.
The maximum grant amount per peace officer/trooper is $750, to be paid to the employing law enforcement agency.
The course was developed for the tactical team members to accomplish their primary mission of Saving Lives. It is one of the only training programs that combines classroom evidence-based principles with practical skill-based tactics.
The class culminates with safe, reality-based scenarios that include de-escalation tactics.
Additional topics will include constitutional use of force, de-escalation tactics, and linking up with additional and plainclothes officers.
Students will demonstrate proficiency through reality-based scenarios.
The OTOA Tactical Team Response to Active Threat is a Restricted course and not eligible for our standard online registration.