The user transition class will be two days in length. An introductory course, consisting of classroom lectures and live fire range time to learn how to properly use the RDS system on the duty pistol. The life fire will consist of draw and presentation, acquiring the red dot, target focus versus front sight focus, and distance shooting with the RDS.
Topics of instruction include structure versus strength, less effort equals higher efficiency, and pros and cons plus limitations of optics available in the marketplace. Proper use of RDS in bad weather, and overcoming those conditions, plus close-quarter environments and extended distance situations will be covered.
Also taught will be the proper use of RDS with damage or glass obstruction. Finally, detailed information and data to consider prior to making a purchase will be covered.
Topics of Instruction Include
- The course covers an individual officer wanting to enhance his ability with the RDS or start gaining knowledge of the RDS.
- The fundamentals redefined; structure vs. strength, less effort = better efficiency.
- Pros, cons, as well as limitations of optics available in the marketplace, will be discussed at length.
- Proper use of RDS in inclement weather and how to overcome those conditions through technique.
- Proper use of RDS in CQB environments and at extended distances.
- Proper use of RDS with damage and or obstruction of the glass.
- It allows an agency or team to acquire more information on the RDS pistol prior to making a purchase.
- It will allow the officer to provide in-service instruction to officers.
- Each officer will gain the knowledge necessary to not only self-diagnose their own performance but more importantly the performance of their students.
- Individual attention will be given to each officer to ensure that they are comprehending all material presented.
- Mounted and Dismounted movement, when and why to use these techniques.
- The why’s will be explained, discussed, and answered with every technique taught within the curriculum.
The OTOA will supply if the student cannot: (Email email@example.com to request the following supplies)
- Glock RDS pistol
- Choice of the holster
- Choice of the magazine carrier
- Choice of a weapon-mounted light
- Choice of red dot optic
- Eye/ear protection
- Inclement weather gear (wet/cold)
- Belt capable of holding and drawing pistol at speed suggested 1.5” – 1.75”
- 500 rounds of quality/factory ammunition - NO RELOADS (9mm if you are using OTOA-owned Glock pistols)
- Range snacks/water/hydration